6:58 PM

Distractions and Revisions

I have a bad habit when it comes to reading a good, new series: I can't stop. That has been my biggest distraction over the last two weeks as I flew through the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning (Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, Dreamfever and the last book, Shadowfever, is due next year). Even though fantasy, sci-fi and historical fiction are my favorite genres, sometimes I like to read a good romance novel. That was how I came across Karen Marie Moning in the first place, through her Highlander series. But then I decided to try her other series, and imagine my surprise to find it full of fairies, even up to having Seelies and Unseelies! Luckily I soon discovered they are nothing like my use of the Seelie Court/Unseelie Court, and didn't become disheartened. But the books are quick to read and addicting; I read them almost as quickly as the Twilight books. The endings are all cliffhangers, but sometimes taken to an extreme. Anyone who has read Dreamfever knows what I'm talking about, and late summer/early fall of 2010 is too far away.

(I will also add here that KMM pushes her main character to the limit in the Fever series, another addition to my small list of authors who do so.)

Between work, reading and helping with a friend's wedding, I somehow managed to find the time to make a major decision about the book I'm working on: completely rewrite it. Yes, that's right, from the first page! It took me nearly 100 pages to figure out how James Taylor wanted to tell his story, and he wouldn't have it any other way. The result? A tighter and more entertaining story in my opinion. I don't dread thinking about how to tell what's happening next. On the contrary, I love the new style and quite enjoy telling the tale. This version of Senna and James is what I wanted.

Sometimes you have to be willing to start over to make it work. I will not be the type of person who rewrites into eternity, but since this is my first take on a longer work, it's taking a little while to find my stride. Let's hope I don't lose it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment