5:51 PM

A Unique Idea from a Strange Conversation

A little over a week ago I had one of the most entertaining conversations I've had in a while. My best friend needed a break from her three sons, and after her husband came home, she came over to hang out. What followed was a three hour conversation about the impossibilities of romance novels.

Now, I will freely admit that I'm addicted to paranormal romance novels. I devour authors such as Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole, Sherrilyn Kenyon, JR Ward, etc in a matter of days, if not hours. For some reason the fantasy aspect (vampires, werewolves, immortal warriors) makes the romance novel more believable to me. I know, I know, there is not a plethora of 6'6" men with six packs and drop-dead gorgeous faces, but the main point of fantasy is that it isn't real. You say there's an underground culture of vampires? Sure. Does the Greek goddess Artemis go around granting acts of vengeance? What the hell. It is fantasy.

Of course there are some patterns that emerge, no matter if the romance is paranormal or other. Those of you who have read some will know this, I'm sure. Things like the man always pleases the woman first and is okay with waiting for his own pleasure. Or the woman can handle 10 hour long marathons with an immortal warrior without getting tired or feeling sore. Etc, etc. Now, these patterns sparked an idea in my head: why has no one ever written a fill-in-the-blank romance story?

Imagine it: you choose certain numbers, places, objects, a la Mad Libs style, and get your own personalized, semi-ridiculous romance adventure. It would be nothing short of entertaining.

Maybe some day I'll attempt it, but what holds me back from writing paranormal romance novels instead of fantasy with romantic elements is my family. They would buy the book and read it, and I can't say I'd feel comfortable having my family read sex scenes and wonder what is real or made up. I'll warm up a scene when the romantic peak comes, but I'll leave the details to your own imagination.

Of course if fill-in-the-blank is too much of challenge, there's always Choose Your Own Adventure possibilities as well. That way if you don't like how the story ends, it's your fault.

0 comments:

Post a Comment